Orc Progress update:Orc Progress update

Over the last few days I have been finishing my model, preparing the uvs and texturing. If I want to focus on spending some time creating some quality animation I will need to finish this process soon. I have put in a few big days striving to get this character ready to animate. I set myself the goal of finishing the texturing being ready to rig by the end of this week. Overall I am happy with the results I have achieved with my time budget.

Putting the finishing touches on the character mesh, I modeled out his belt, pants and nails. For the belt and pants I used some techniques from the Digital tutors lesson.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1028-Character-Modeling-Concepts-in-3ds-Max#play-24456

For my characters clothes I used hulk pants for reference. I wanted to give the impression that my character looted his pants, perhaps from a human so they would be too small, and torn up. This photo of a hulk action figure was my main reference

http://www.unbox.ph/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Hulk-The-Avengers-Hot-Toys-b.jpg

I especially like the effect achieved from modeling in the creases in to his pants. When adding the extra topology to create the creases, I had to be careful not to introduce any n gons or unwanted poles in to the topology. I did accidentally create a few. Currently I have ended them in poles, but if this causes deformation issues during skinning I will run the loop all the way around the leg. Next time, when using this method I will probably run a chamfer all the way around when creating the creases.

The other element I wanted to incorporate ws the torn pants. I was undecided on whether I would model these tears into the mesh, using chamfers, or use an opacity map. After having a few discussions with Karen, Laughlin and Steve I decided to use an opacity map. This would give me the ability to create more ragged organic looking tears, while using less geometry.

Unwrapping was a fairly uneventful process. I initially I unwrapped the character with the symmetry modifier on. This allowed me to stack the less important pieces, like the feet, to save on uv space. Then after collapsing my symmetry I adjusted the pieces I wanted to texture asymmetrically. I did have a some issues with stretching on the chin, because the character is so stylised. As you can see from this screen shot it is still a little stretched.

It is much better than it was initially, when  I had not cut a seam on the chin. I was unsure whether creating this seam would be an issue however after having a search and having a read of the below forum thread I decided to cut. Since I was planning to tidy my texture in mudbox having uneven texel density would cause more problems than painting out the seam.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-836211.html

My Orc needed a club, for SMASHING! Before taking the orc in to musbox I created a simple prop, so I could get back into practise using mudbox. I created the base mesh in 3ds max, it was not the best for subdivision, the polys at the end were too small to subdivide well. This was a result of lack of planning. I had originally only intended to paint the club. While painting I decided to sculpt in a quick normal map using a stencil. As I subdivided I could see my mesh beginning to pinch at the ends. Luckily I didn’t need to sculpt very deeply, to achieve the effect I wanted, and could get away only subdividing a few times, before the pinching got out of control.

Texturing my orc was the next step. I set myself the goal of trying to finish the texture last night, and I am happy with what I achieved. I initially did encounter a few issued importing the character. I was getting weird artifacts, I was getting the same problem when importing my final project character.

After trying a few things, subdividing, reimporting uvs, smoothing uvs, and then a few more things suggested by Steve, flipping normals, going throught the autodesk help doc http://docs.autodesk.com/MUD/2015/ENU/#!/url=./files/GUID-EC302744-19E1-4E2B-9CBB-123D22B2A318.htm, I achieved a result by subdividing the mesh before importing it. Apparently the low poly version of my mesh was too low for mudbox. I am not sure why I didn’t encounter this issue last trimester when texturing my mouse, it was about the same if not less in its poly count. I have yet to try this technique with the final project model, I will over the weekend.

My workflow for painting the textures was very similar to my process I used for the mouse last year. Blocking in with mudbox, refining in photoshop and then painting seams and more refining in mudbox. Again the dynamic link between photoshop and mudbox was extremely useful. My goal was to try and match the detail on Karen’s Witch Doctor character. The colours are fairly flat, I did incorporate some shadow and muscle definition but kept it soft so it would match.

Before leaving last night I decided to do a quick turntable render. Using the 3 point lighting technique from Wednesday’s lesson I created some Mr area omnys to light my character. I then parented them to the camera null so the character would continue to be lit from the cameras POV. In my rush to render last night I forgot that I had bumped the null off center, so the footage is a little wobbly, I will need to remember to fit that.

https://vimeo.com/124506825

Advertisements